Augustinian Convent of the Mother of God or Our Lady of Grace (current Diocesan Seminary)
Daman [Damão/Damaun], Guzerate, India
Regarding the house of the Augustinians (of the Mother of God or of Our Lady of Grace), which may have been founded during a visit to Daman by Friar Aleixo de Menezes in 1596-7, the main remains are the church perimeter, chancel and façade, built or redecorated in 1708, as attested by an inscription, with a Doric portal of twisted columns and capricious frames. The convent maintains its original volumes; it was made the diocesan seminary in the late 19th century upon creation of the Daman diocese “according to prescriptions of the hygienic sciences”, wrote Moniz Júnior, which must mean that bathrooms were built, which that author otherwise explicitly describes as being magnificent. The convent was described and praised by an English traveller in the late 19th century. The Hospitallers of Saint John of God built a house in Daman in 1693, on the square before the parish church, to which the Misericórdia (charity) Hospital moved in 1695.