Pêro de Anaia High School
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Equipment and Infrastructures
The decree setting up the school dates from May 1955, sited on swampy land, with an area of 8.6 hectares, south of the Matacuane dunes, with a façade fronting Capitão Pais Ramos Street. Designed for 720 students, it was inaugurated on the 28th May 1959.
A work from the city’s modern phase it was built in an area of urban expansion. As was common in the constructions based on public programmes and initiatives its design sought a balance between modernity and more emphatic forms. The plan, dating from 1956, is attributed to the architects Lucínio Cruz and Eurico Pinto Lopes.