Fortress Saint Sebastian (Present day City Museum)
São Tomé, São Tomé Island, São Tomé e Príncipe
Built from the mid-sixteenth century (around 1566), the Fortress Saint Sebastian is located at the northern tip of the city. It has the shape of a square star with three fronts facing the sea. According to Lopes de Lima, the reason behind its construction had to do with the knowledge that the king had on the attacks by French privateers in the other Atlantic islands occupied by the Portuguese. The statues of the three Portuguese sailors João de Santarém, Pêro Escobar and João Paiva stand there today in highly visible places at the fort entrance area.