Presidential or Governmental Palace
São Tomé, São Tomé Island, São Tomé e Príncipe
Located on the site where the Torre do Capitão (Captain’s Tower) was commissioned by Álvaro de Caminha around 1492-1493, the Presidential Palace is today one of the most important buildings in the city. Located by the stream, on Square of Povo, this building is notable for its imposing dimension and for the classical lines of the façades and from the scale of the surrounding garden. It was a two-storey building typical of late 19th century residential architecture, but it was completely transformed, extended and monumentalized, probably in the mid-twentieth century, in a classical style.