Church of Our Lady of the Nativity
Cacheu, Guinea-Bissau | Gulf of Guinea | São Tomé and Príncipe, Guinea-Bissau
This was the first Portuguese church on the west coast of Africa, Our Lady of the Nativity being patron saint of the city. It collapsed in 1680, due to the river bursting it banks. The bishop of Cape Verde, António de São Dyonísio, ordered its reconstruction soon after the flood. Nowadays it is relatively well preserved.