Cacheu, Guinea-Bissau | Gulf of Guinea | São Tomé and Príncipe, Guinea-Bissau
Built by the river between 1641 and 1647, this is a small fort consisting of a square of 20 metres on each side, protected at the corners by small bastions and a wall of four to five metres high. There are accounts of its existence in 1822, with an adobe wall structure. The year 1988 saw the signature of a protocol of gemination with Viana do Castelo (Portugal), which contributed to several improvements in the town, namely the rehabilitation of the fort and the restoration of the Chapel of Our Lady of Nativity. More recently other rehabilitating works were undertaken in the fort by initiative of the Portuguese Language Capital Cities Union along with Lisbon City Council. This recovery included the interior and the outer walls, which had deteriorated over time and also by the currents of Cacheu River, which had eroded the foundations in some areas. The area adjoining the fort is the site where the authorities of Guinea-Bissau, after independence, placed the statues connected to the colonial period. These are laying near the Fort, amidst the vegetation, for 30 years.