Fort of Saint Joseph (or Fort of Amura)
Bissau, Guinea-Bissau | Gulf of Guinea | São Tomé and Príncipe, Guinea-Bissau
Built in 1766, following a project by Friar Manuel de Vinhais Sarmento, the plan would later be changed by coronel Manoel Germano da Mota. The workers were from Cape Verde and had been brought from the islands to work on the building. It is a bastion-like quadrangular fort, with a regular shape, made of stone masonry and surrounded by a moat. The fort was rebuilt between 1858 and 1860 by captain Januário Correia de Almeida, “a civil and military engineer of this province”. In the 1970s, the fort was subjected to projects for restoration work, under the supervision of the architect Luís Benavente.