Daman [Damão/Damaun], Guzerate, India
Equipment and Infrastructures
Despite various reforms in Portuguese teaching over the course of the 19th and 20th centuries, and that various schools were set up in the territory of Daman as elsewhere throughout the Estado da Índia, most of the establishments did not operate in their own buildings, but rather in private houses leased by the state. Noteworthy for their historic and architectural interest are two schools with their own installations. From the late 19th century a primary school existed in Moti Daman, located next to the court near the Sea Gate. This building was in ruins by around 1930. It is possible that it was transferred to another one situated on the same street, where a secondary school now functions. This structure was most likely built in the second half of the 19th century and modified in 1932, the date indicated in a plaque on the main façade. The building has two floors and rectangular floor plan, with clean-lined façades. The main access is protected by a small porch with benches. The building was enlarged after 1961. Standing out in Nani Daman is the old King Luís I Hall. It was paid for by Rustanjee Jemsetjee Jejebhoy, with construction starting in 1863. It was built to operate as an English language school; in 1907 three basic education institutions were functioning here. It was located next to the Damanganga River; the drawing published by Lopes Mendes shows that the building comprised two volumes: the first had two floors and defined the main façade, while the second had only one floor. With its pointed-arch windows with seemingly rustic frames and asymmetrical main façade, the edifice shows clear English neo-Gothic influence from the neighbouring territory. The building was renovated in 1993, as a result of which only the overall site perimeter, basic main façade design and size of the bays remain. It is currently Indian government property and houses three different departments involved in basic and secondary education in the territory of Diu, Daman and Nagar-Haveli.