Count of Arcos Palace
Goiás, Vila Boa de Goiás, Goiás, Brazil
Equipment and Infrastructures
The Governor’s Palace situated in Largo da Matriz is now known as the Count of Arcos Palace, after Marcos de Noronha, the first governor of Goiás (1749-1755) to live in the new captaincy. The palace is in line with Goiás colonial buildings characterised by aesthetic bareness and simple architectural solutions. The edifice resulted from the adaptation of four residences transformed into one single building housing both the official residence and government offices. Cunha Mattos asserted that it was badly constructed but with good compartments, the government secretary’s office being the best of them. In a late 19th-century intervention, neoclassical elements were added to the side facing Largo da Matriz. Since then, it has comprised a fascia, a triangular pediment and pilasters marking the building’s central body providing access to the building, with a central door surmounted by a round-arched lintel and balcony windows arranged just as they were in the first decades of the 19th century. Burchell drew the building in the early 19th century, when it still had its colonial façade. After the capital moved to Goiânia in the 1930s, the building lost its function as a government seat and residence. Since 1961, the building has resumed those duties in the month of July, when the city’s anniversary is commemorated. On other days of the year, it serves as the Count of Arcos Palace Museum.
Nádia Mendes de Moura