Parish Church of Our Lady of the Conception
Guarapari, Espírito Santo, Brazil
Only the church remains from the original group of buildings erected by the Jesuits, while the only remaining vestiges of the house consisting of one single front wing with six windows in the façade, which had still been standing in the 19th century, are its foundations. The deep chancel, the lobed oculi of the chancel and the pediment with elaborate ogee volutes in the 18th-century style must have been made in the mid-18th century, when the Archdeacon António de Siqueira Quintal may have undertaken work on the church so that he could use it, or even in the early 19th century, when the church was rebuilt after a fire. The tower originally followed the same pattern as the church of Anchieta, being separated from the nave, with three arches at its base. The portals and windows on the main façade have a curious covering of shell inlays, also found in other churches in the area. Its interior is notable for the patron saint on the high altar, a perfect example of Portuguese imagery from the mid-18th century. In 1880, the church became the parish church of the town, replacing the church built by the donatory Francisco Gil de Araújo.