Chapel of Saint John the Baptist
Carapicuíba, São Paulo, Brazil
Rebuilt in 1736 to replace the Chapel of Our Lady of Grace, built in 1615, the chapel preserves the general floor plan typical of most Jesuit churches in Brazil, characterised by Lúcio Costa. The frontispiece is simple, with a gabled pediment with an opening for a bell, plus a central door and two minor side doors, all with straight lintels. The interior is equally sober: it has a single nave, with the chancel and nave forming just one body without a crossing arch.
Beatriz Piccolotto Siqueira Bueno