Mindelo [Porto Grande], São Vicente Island, Cape Verde
This single-storey structure was built between 1852 and 1853 on the slope next to the town, protecting the bay. It is more or less quadrangular-shape, measuring about 30 metres on each side, with a central patio. The austere design includes rooms enclosed by a veranda and terrace. It was surveyed by the Ministry of Overseas Affairs, when there were plans to restore the National Monument (along with the Church of Our Lady of Light) in the 1960s. Luís Benavente, who studied the building at that time, asserted that “the expression of the base wall of the existing prison indicates that it pertains to the El-Rei Fort, and that the latter must be integrally located there”.