Fort of Saint Antony of Barra
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
This was originally a tower used as a lookout post over the entrance to the Baía de Todos os Santos. It was an octagonal structure which, according to Silva Campos, was built during the rule of Manoel Teles Barreto (1583-1587), possibly of rammed earth, as mentioned in the Old Book of the Inventory of the Monastery of Saint Benedict. Under the direction of Dom Francisco de Souza (1591-1602), it was possibly built in stone and mortar, with a similar design to that of the Fort of Our Lady of Monserrate, according to the account by Diogo Moreno. However, in the late 17th century, during the administration of Dom João de Lencastre, the design was converted into a star-shaped polygon, in work partly carried out by the military engineer José Paes Esteves. During that period, a lighthouse with a square foundation was built at the fort, which was not reconstructed with a circular floor plan until the building was modernised in the 19th century. Some additions were made to the embankment in the 19th and 20th centuries, cutting off access through the parade grounds to two of the lookouts and the latrines, but the design of the parapets and curtain walls is the same as it was in the late 17th century.